We all have those introspective moments of doubt as we open social media and see what seems to be everyone living their life to the fullest.
An engagement here, a new job there, everyone seems to be traveling to hidden gems of the world having the time of their life while you just took a Buzzfeed Quiz about what kind of tree you are.
It’s so easy to get caught up in your own head and believe you’re behind where you’re supposed to be for your age or that a single mistake is the end of the world. The truth is, we all compare, but we don’t realize that everyone is fighting a battle we know nothing about.
Here are some signs that you’re actually doing much better than you think:
1. You loved someone with all your heart, and they pushed you away. Someone who loves you hard and then pushes you away when you’re not convenient anymore, is not afraid to lose you. You don’t need that. You don’t want that. You’re lucky that this person is no longer a part of your life because you opened yourself up for someone new, someone better, a more extraordinary love, someone who deserves you.
2. You are not worried about where your next meal is coming from. We’ve become so used to comparing, but for some reason we don’t compare our lives to the billions who don’t even have the basic necessities. Remember that everything you have, someone else, somewhere, is praying for just that.
3. Your ego has been really hurt. In the words of Jillian Michaels, “A bad day for your ego is a great day for your soul.”
4. You’ve “failed” at something. You know what real failure is? Not ever taking any risks to protect yourself from failure – there is no failure, when one door closes another door always opens. If you open your eyes, you will see the next door that opens is a better door.
5. Your relationship is shit. Relationships take hard work and…just kidding. You’re still young and there are about 7,159,894,536 people in the world. If your relationship is shit say you’re going out for cigarettes, never come back and start over.
6. You have one or two friends that are your family. With so many people who suck, finding someone who feels and treats you like family is truly the biggest gift, even if they might drive you crazy from time to time. (Hey that’s family).
7. You have your own space. Even if this just amounts to one room that feels like a closet in a shared apartment, it’s your space where you can do whatever you damn please. Yeah, this might sound basic, but it’s so much more important and empowering that you realize.
8. You spent too much money on the things you love and now you have no savings. The worst thing you can do is become so obsessed with saving money that you forget to invest in the life that’s quickly passing you.
9. You question yourself and doubt your life – you feel miserable some days. This means you’re still open to growth and change. You’re lost because you know that there is much more inside of you than what you’re currently offering the world. Being lost keeps you hungry and it keeps you moving forward. Constantly wondering and questioning is a sign of intelligence. Have you noticed how it’s always the idiots that are so sure about every damn thing they are doing in their lives?
10. You didn’t take them back. You’ve recognized the toxic people in your life and refuse to take them back no matter how much you love them and they might love you. That takes so much strength. By not taking them back, you are fully opening yourself up to everything life has to offer.
11. You’re single. You could have easily stayed in any of your past relationships – but you refuse to settle. Life isn’t about finding someone, it’s about not settling for the wrong one.
12. You’re working toward a goal. Even if you’re exhausted and it feels miles away, the most important thing is you’re doing something for you and you’ve stopped giving other people control over your happiness.